Ah, summer! There’s nothing I love more than hiking or enjoying a picnic… Oh, buzz off, bug!… Anyway, as I was saying, there’s nothing like camping and… I said buzz off!… The beach and the lake are such great… OUCH!
OK, that hurts. I love summer but I hate insects that sting and bite. It’s a good thing I always have some aloe vera cream with me.
Summer is awesome, but unfortunately the flying bugs and creepy-crawlies love it also. I hate being prey
for mosquitoes, biting flies, ants, bees, wasps, spiders and fleas.
I would love to avoid them all, but I refuse to waste the glorious weather by hiding indoors. If I can’t prevent them all from feasting on me or using me for target practice, then I need something effective to ease the irritation.
Bite Back With Aloe Vera
In nature, there is always balance. While nature brings the misery and even venom of insect bites and stings, it also provides aloe vera with its anti-inflammatory fatty acids, amino acids, enzymes, glycoproteins and vitamins.
It’s been used for thousands of years as a soothing and regenerating agent, so that’s good in my book. Not many things in this day and age have lasted that long.
I can’t exactly pack an aloe vera plant with me wherever I go, but I can carry a container of Corium 21 Aloe Skin Cream.
I put one in every outdoor bag or picnic I pack.
How to Handle Insect Bites and Stings
- Remove the sting: If I’ve been stung, I need the sting gone from my skin so it can’t cause any more damage. I brush or scrape the sting out. I never grab it or pluck it because it could break off and even force more venom into me.
- No scratching: No matter if it’s painful or itchy, scratching can make the effects last longer and can even cause me an infection.
- Ice: I want ice on it. Fast. Luckily, most times when hiking, camping or picnicking, I have ice cubes or ice packs with me. Ice will help put out the fire or numb the itch for a while.
- Elevate: If I suspect I’ve been bitten by a spider, I will sit or lie down, raise the affected area and keep it still until help arrives.
- Aloe Vera Cream: Whatever has bit or stung me, I always want an aloe vera cream like Corium 21 Skin Cream. It will help every time for every bite or sting. How many creams, lotions or ointments can I say that about that are also NOT artificial mixtures of chemicals?
Allergic Reactions to Insect Bites and Stings
Allergic reactions and anaphylactic shock are very serious. So is the venom from some spiders and insects. If I have an abnormal reaction to a bite or sting, I should call for medical assistance. Warning signs for an abnormal reaction are:
- extreme pain that persists around the area or radiates elsewhere
- difficulty breathing
- spiked heart rate
- feeling woozy or disoriented
- drop in blood pressure and circulation
- stomach pains
- swelling that is unusually large or debilitating
Once Bitten, Twice Shy
Of course, not being bitten or stung at all is the perfect solution, so I do everything I can to avoid the bugs with repellants, appropriate clothing, screens, and being vigilant.
However, should I become a target for nature’s creatures, I have my nurturing aloe vera cream for biting back.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Corium 21.