Abrasions are very common sports injuries that are usually caused by a fall on a hard surface. As the athlete falls or slides on the ground, friction causes layers of skin to rub off.
The skin is composed of an outer layer (the epidermis) which provides protection, and a deep inner layer (the dermis), which gives the firmness and flexibility to the skin.
The term “abrasion” typically refers to an injury that removes these layers of skin.
Children often get skin abrasions from falls onto hard or rough surfaces.
Tips for Skin Abrasions
Most abrasions are shallow scrapes that do not extend into the dermis and don’t cause a great deal of bleeding.
While there is often little or no blood loss from an abrasion, there can be a great deal of pain because of the many nerve endings that are exposed.
Unfortunately, it is often hard to find natural remedies for abrasions, but here are some things you can do if you get an abrasion:
- Clean the abrasion with water and soap. Make sure there is no dirt, sediment, or other foreign materials in the wound.
- You may apply a calendula gel or cream to help prevent inflammation and infection. It also helps to further clean the wound.
- You may apply a general antiseptic to reduce the inflammation.
- Mix thyme essential oil into water and apply the mixture to sterile gauze or other bandage material.
- You may apply a few drops of lavender oil to the gauze in addition to the thyme essential oil.
- You may apply the gauze to the wound.
Other natural ingredients effective in caring for abrasions are crushed marigold flowers. These are applied externally. Similarly, there are various leaves such as parsley leaves, plantain leaves, dock leaves, geranium leaves, and comfrey leaves that can be either crushed or pounded and applied to the abrasion.
Onion juice and tea prepared from sage also are external applications used to avoid bacteria. Compressed witch hazel and lavender are also used for external applications.
One of the most popular applications for abrasions is Aloe Vera. Aloe Vera delivers wonderful benefits to your skin.
“I have taken to using it on my entire body, and the softness is unbelievable. Rashes go right away. Hives disappear. Cuts heal in a day. I believe there are things that this cream clears up that aren’t even documented.
Needless to say, I am thrilled with the product and will continue to use it and recommend it to everyone. Thank you for providing this marvel to the public.”
Read more about: